Availability Request Back Monuments » Chiesa di San Giorgio Martire  

Address: Via Vittorio Veneto, 1
Place: Locorotondo (BA)
Web site: -
Phone: -
Cellular: -
Fax: -

 Mother Church

This monumental building, dedicated to St. George the Martyr, was built between 1790 and 1825 on the same area where already there was also other churches, always under the same title, one of them mentioned around 1195 and another century, demolished to make way for the present. What is most striking building is certainly his grand appearance: outside his figure stands in the center and above the houses; the sixteenth-century style facade, gable houses in a representation in relief of St. George and the dragon, and the two corners further down, the two statues of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, carved by an unknown local artist at the end of `700 on scale models clay supplied by a Milanese sculptor. Pilasters on the right corner at the corner of Via Porta Nuova, you can see some small crosses carved; This may be connected, probably, to the laying of the foundation stone and relics of St. Victor and St. Ruffino when it began work on July 19, 1790. always outside the four corners of the first order of the tower (top, from the ground , less than 47 feet) can be observed four stone statues of female figures identified with the three Marys and Veronica, placed here after the break-up of the altarpiece of the Pietà existing in the old church.
The central dome (over 35 meters high including the lantern), the profile rather crushed, was once covered with terracotta roof tiles glazed in multiple colors; damaged by a lightning bolt that hit the church in 1841, they were never recovered, losing the color contrast between the dome and the rest of which was to prove very effective.
The building is divided into a Greek cross plan inscribed which, however, priority is given to the longitudinal axis of the entrance by a marked prolongation of the chancel and apse slightly raised on the underlying Soccorpo. At a certain sobriety neoclassical architectural elements is accompanied by a set of Renaissance and Baroque figurative coming, in large part, from the previous church.
On the left wall, entering, we open up the chapel of SS. Sacrament which contains two pairs of pilasters on whose faces are carved in 42 panels, scenes from the Old and New Testament; these pilasters, along with the now dismembered altarpiece of the Pieta, and adorned the previous homonymous chapel was built between 1591 and 1613. On the wall of the apse is a Last Supper painter Maldarelli Gennaro (1841), which produced a the almost identical to the matrix of Mottola (Taranto). The rich Baroque altar, made in marble, was released (along with the ones that we will see later Assumption and SS. Rosary) in 1764 in the workshop of the Neapolitan Lamberti.
On either side of the said Chapel there, left a seventeenth-century fresco depicting St. Donatus, Bishop, coming from the lower church of the Madonna della Catena, and on the right, an eighteenth-century painting of the Risen Christ by an unknown artist. Next to it is the altar of the Assumption, adorned with a painting of Maldarelli 1838.

Availability Request  


Back